A typical daimyo garden from the Edo period with a tidal pond and two duck grounds. A tidal pond is a style commonly used in seaside gardens, in which seawater is introduced and the appearance of the pond changes according to the ebb and flow of the tide.
The Kyu Shiba Rikyu Gardens, Kiyosumi Gardens, and Kyu Yasuda Gardens used to be tidal ponds. But now, this is the only place where seawater actually flows in and out.
Until the Kan'ei era (1624-1644), this area was a falconry ground for the shogunate and was covered with reeds. Tsunashige Matsudaira, the younger brother of the fourth Shogun Ietsuna and Prime Minister of Kofu, built the mansion here for the first time. In 1654, Tsunashige received permission from the shogun to build a villa called Kofu Hamayashiki on landfilled sea. After that, Tsunatoyo (Ienobu), a son of Tsunashige, became the 6th shogun, and this mansion became the second residence of the shogun family, and the name was changed to Hama Palace.
Since then, the garden has been landscaped and repaired several times by successive shoguns, and the 11th shogun, Ienari, completed the garden in its current form.
After the Meiji Restoration, it became a detached palace for the imperial family and was renamed Hamarikyu. Afterwards, the Great Kanto Earthquake and war damage burned down valuable buildings such as the teahouse and damaged trees. It was refurbished and opened to the public for a fee in April 1946. In addition, based on the National Law for the Protection of Cultural Properties, in December 1948, it was designated as a national scenic spot and historic site, and in November 1952, it was designated as a national special scenic spot, including the surrounding water surface. and designated as a special historic site.